Mga Pahina

Tuesday, May 16, 2023

10 Illegal Interview Questions and Answers


We have listed some interview questions that you may find illegal, discriminate, or taboo that you may or may not need to answer if you get offended:


1. Can you handle managing a team of men as a woman?


Tips:


Discrimination questions about gender are broad. Any gender questions are taboo in the interview. If this question comes up and you feel offended, you may answer it generally but drop the gender part.


Sample answer:


I am very comfortable and effective in a management role. I was a manager in the last position I held, and our department exceeded the target goal for the year.


2. Are you single and dating or happily married?


Tips:


Some employers prefer single employees to avoid family emergency leaves, and some want married employees because they think married employees are more responsible than single ones. Asking this is technically illegal, but employers often ask them to get a read on your future commitment to the job and company. You can lead the question away to your marital status if you aren't comfortable answering it. Steer the conversation back to a job-related topic.


Answer sample:


I am not quite in the marital stage yet. My interests are my professional growth and the career paths your company can provide me. Can you tell me more about that?



3. Why should we hire older applicants if we could hire younger ones who could be more productive?


Tips:                            

   

Be prepared to address this question, and a good answer would be to turn back to your job-related skills: Highlight your accomplishments and how your experience can contribute to the company.


Answer sample:


It won't be a hindrance on my part. I have experience in a sales position, and my knowledge and sales skill would contribute to the company's marketing strategies. I guarantee excellent performance and loyalty to the company.


4. From which country are you? Were you born in the U.S. or somewhere in Asia?


Tips:


This question is foul but often slips out as conversation starters. You can answer this question gracefully and lead the question back to the job.


Answer sample:


I have lived in several places, but if you want to know if I'm legally allowed to work in the U.S. So, yes, I am. Your company is secured if I get hired since I have documents available if needed.


5. We don't accept employees with different religious practices than ours. Why should we hire you?

Tips:

This question is unfair. Although there are times some interviewers ask this question. However, you could relate this question to your job or your availability if you need to come to work during holidays or weekends. Get back to the job-related topics if you are not at ease answering questions about your religion.


Answer sample:


My religion won't interfere with my job. I can work on holidays or weekends if that is what you are asking. Could you tell me the schedule required for this job?


6. Are you an American? What is your native language? Do you think you can understand well in English?


Tips:


This question should not be a barrier not to being accepted for the job. Race discrimination is illegal and prohibited by law. Questions should be job-related and not used to find out personal information. Try to change the topic of conversation and avoid the question.


Answer:


I speak Spanish, and I am also fluent in French and English. I speak several languages to be competitive in the field I chose. I'm confident my skills would contribute to this company as an effective sales marketing agent.


8. Do you have plans to get married or get pregnant soon?


Tips:


This question is not usual, but some employers used to ask women to avoid hiring someone that would go out on maternity leave. It is illegal to discriminate based on pregnancy. You can answer this politely and divert the question to another topic.


Answer sample:


I have no plans like that. I plan to find a company to fit in and contribute to its success by working with passion and dedication. My experience is enough to fulfill the position and exceed the company's expectations.


9. Do you have a disability or chronic illness? This position may not be the right job for you.


Tips:


It is illegal to use disability or medical information as a factor in hiring. If the job requires some specific physical task, the employer can ask if you could perform those tasks with reasonable accommodation and clearance from your doctor.


Answer sample:


I had a minor illness, but my doctor said I could do a physical job. I can provide a clearance from my doctor if needed. I can perform this job well, and I assure you that there will be no problems in the future related to my past illness.


10. How many children do you have? Are you a solo parent?


Tips:


It may sound like an innocent question, but it is not allowed in an interview. Discrimination against parental status is illegal and covered by a general prohibition. You can answer this if you are comfortable, but if you are not at ease, divert your answer to the job-related topic.


Answer sample:


I have, and my parental status won't affect my job performance or attendance. I adjusted to the demand of my previous job, and this job has no difference.



Check out other posts about job interview tips:



1 comment:

  1. Thank you! you got a good post too. Continue writing to help job seekers. They need support to get a job that fit them.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us in the comment section for any suggestions and other job-hunting tips you want to read on this website. We appreciate your support and contributions.